Looking Forward – Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
It’s no secret that I’m a big comic book fan. I’m also a fan of movies. So you’d think that if you combine those two things, it would automatically result in me shelling out the money for a movie ticket to any and all “based on a comic book” movie released. Well, no. I’m not going to see your movie just because you licensed a character from Marvel comics. You have to give me something worth seeing.
Which is why I’m torn about Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.
Reasons I want to see Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance:
- A movie about a demon with a flaming skull for a head riding around on motorcycle is a pretty captivating image.
- Ghost Rider is the quintessential “deal with the devil” story. We don’t see much of them these days.
- It will present ideas about heaven and hell that are worth exploring. They will most certainly be wrong, but still worth exploring.
- The trailer shows off some great looking special effects and stunts.
- While I haven’t seen the Crank movies, I hear great things about them. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance is by the same directors.
Reasons I’m unsure about seeing Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance:
- The movie is coping some pretty bad reviews in the US at the moment.
- There’s a four week delay between the movie’s release in the US and here in Australia. While not always a vote of non-confidence, it’s also not a great sign.
- You never know which Nicholas Cage you’re going to get. My theory is that there are actually two Nicholas Cages. There were no special effects used to have him play twins in Adaptation. One Nicholas Cage makes awesome movies. The other one is out of his mind and starred in the Wicker Man remake. Which Cage is in Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance?
- The first Ghost Rider movie was terrible. The plot didn’t make any sense and there really wasn’t anything to recommend about it. While I’m hoping for more for the sequel, I’m probably being overly optimistic.
Have you seen Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance? What did you think?